Students from more than 25 states in the US and around the world.
Public Speaking & Debate Program
This program is run year-round in 9 speech cycles of 6 week each - We know! That adds up to 54 weeks. During each speech cycle, students attend 6 meetings i.e. 5 classes of 1-hr. each + 1 speech & debate tournament of about 2.5 hrs. Students register and pay for 2 speech cycles at a time. Some students remain in the program for only 2 cycles (approx. 3 months); others stay enrolled for years.
Here's How it Works
- Weekly 1-hr. class with students of your own skill level.
- Access to resources for topic selection, content creation, and sample videos is provided.
- During each session, each student rehearses their individual speech by delivering it standing up in front of the class, critiques other performances, and/or debates with others.
- Every 6th week, students participate in a Face2Face Public Speaking & Debate Tournament at a local hotel booked by Ivy Gurukul.
- At the above national championship style tournaments, medals are awarded and speeches are video-recorded. Parents / friends are invited.
- In the following week (week 7), continuing students begin a new 6-week speech cycle.
New Students Begin in the Foundation Program: 2 Cycles (3 Months)
- First Cycle: 5 Weeks of Impromptu Speech +1 Speech & Debate Tournament.
- Second Cycle: 5 Weeks of Business Pitch (Shark Tank Style) + 1 Speech & Debate Tournament.
- At completion of the above 2 speech cycles, students move into the Advance Program (see below).
Returning / Advance Students Can Choose From
- Advance Impromptu (National Championship Style)
- Extemporaneous Speech
- Original Oratory
- Free Speech / Tech Talk
- Interviewing Skills
- Congressional Debate
- Parliamentary Debate
Each 5 week speech cycle is followed by a formal Speech & Debate Tournament.
The Ivy GuruKul Advantage:
Mixed Delivery Model: Via live video conference + F2F tournament every 6th week. Small class size of 8 students (free trial class). Highly qualified & experienced coaches and mentors. Dr. Dan Bloomingdale: Ph.D. - Communications / Linguistics, Former Director of Speech & Debate at various universities in the US, 35 years of experience in teaching speech & debate. Kapoor Singh (Coach K): Harvard Trained, Founder, and Director of Curriculum.
• Ease of scheduling a make-up session in case you miss your regular class. Multiple classes are held every day. Parents can sit in the class and watch. This comes handy when your child needs help during personal practice sessions. Eliminates commute, which is a deal-breaker for working parents or high-achieving students trying to get more done in less time.
• In a typical class of 8 students, everyone is watching everyone live and providing feedback. The instructor demonstrates, critiques every performance, and shows/analyzes videos of previous national champions.
• Your instructor is watching you on a large screen HD TV. You can do the same i.e. hookup your laptop to your HD television. Every 6th week, student gather, typically at a local hotel, to compete against each other. Parents are invited to watch.
Did You Know...
The fear of public speaking ranks as the #1 fear; even ahead that of death. 75% of the world's population exhibits symptoms thus causing them to miss out on academic, social, and career opportunities. Top schools such as Yale, Kellogg, NYU Stern, and Wharton have started asking for video essays or have introduced group interviews in their admissions process. This is a wake up call for students to get comfortable speaking in a group.
Sign up for one of Ivy GuruKul's programs today!